Friday, October 5, 2018

Sometimes, the mail makes me cry

It does.

I just got home, after being gone for over a week. It was a wonderful trip, spending time with our daughters, and my mom and sister, making beautiful memories. We had ocean time (a.k.a. "ocean therapy"), beautiful scenery, fun, adventure, cozy relaxation....a truly lovely, rejuvenating time.

When I got home, I greeted the ecstatic dogs and let them outside. They came right back in, to spend more time being excited that I'm home. What a sweet welcome. Before unloading the car, I thought I'd skim through the mail, to see if there is anything requiring immediate attention.

That one pile of mail triggered myriad emotions.

It included:
-notice of a lovely donation  by a family member in Michael's memory, to an organization that supports mental health. I was so touched by this. <3 <3

-a standard bank statement for one of Michael's accounts, which reminds me that I need to cancel the account
-a letter from his renter's insurance company, stating that in light of the recent payment, his policy has been reinstated.....except that this payment was accompanied by a letter explaining that he died three months ago, so....yeah. I'll need to 'splain it to them again, I guess
-a notice demanding immediate payment from Michael's phone company. Was that not among the bills I took care of several weeks ago? Must not have been. Okay, I'll call them tomorrow.

These are not the things that make me cry. Okay, the first one came close. It made me misty, and grateful for the kind gesture.

The other things, the practical stuff, does not wreck me.The bills and demands for payment are like heavy rocks that get handed to me. They're hard to lift, and some have sharp bits that poke and scrape, but I grit my teeth and get on with the job of dealing with them. They don't make me cry.

The one that broke my heart wide open, and left me doubled up sobbing over a lapful of papers and torn envelopes was this note:

"Dear Mr and Mrs (......)
We have received your payment on your son's account and are returning it. (....) sends our deepest condolences to you and your family during this time.  We are writing off his balance as we know this time can be a very expensive time and every bit may help. Our deepest sympathy..."

...and it is hand-signed by three members of their staff, and my check to them was enclosed.

Their kindness is beyond price.

This is what opens the floodgates.

Kindness.

It is kindness that undoes me.

2 comments:

NOT Crying is exhausting

    This is something that can maybe only be fully understood by people walking through a similar fire: that as draining as it can be to let...