Monday, November 19, 2018

A couple of unexpected things

In addition to the general feelings of exhaustion that accompany grief- the very limited reserves of emotional and physical stamina- I have noticed a couple of other effects.

In general, people see me as pretty outgoing and friendly. When I did the Myers-Briggs personality test online, though, I was surprised that my results showed me as being more than two-thirds introvert. Once I thought it over, it really made sense and helped me to build some better boundaries into my life. Through that, I learned that I really do need time completely by myself in order to recharge, so that I can have the energy for happy-fun people time.

I realized recently that in this grief journey, I am operating as if my Introvert percentage is much higher, more like seventy-five or eighty percent. I get drained much more quickly by human interaction and need much more time to recharge.

The other thing that I've noticed (and so have our girls) is thinner hair. Stress has varied, far-reaching effects within the body. In me, it heavily impacts my adrenal system and thyroid function. Thyroid function has a direct relation with the health of skin, nails and hair. The girls and I have all noticed that our hair is definitely thinner the past few months.

Not earth-shaking, but some effects of intense grief that I had not thought to expect.

2 comments:

  1. Horsetail tea daily. Has almost no flavor , mix with any other liquid. Thickens, strengthens hair and nails. Also very nourishing. Has lots of calcium and silica in it. Also soothing. Love Jennifer in Willits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about that. I know you mentioned it to me when I was there. Thank you for posting it here. :) Love you, friend. <3

      Delete

This...kind of changes everything.

  Something happened...something good.  Just as, in the writing world, they say that you write from scars, not bleeding wounds, I wanted to ...